Sustainability improves the quality of our lives, protects our ecosystem and preserves natural resources for future generations.
At SCE, we take a holistic approach to sustainability, considering everything, from manufacturing to logistics to customer service.
Covering social, environmental, economic and ethical issues our sustainability strategy aims to strengthen our relationships with customers, improve community engagement, reduce our carbon footprint and ensure a solid business base for future growth. Some of our current initiatives include:
- The continuation of the transformation of resources. For example, in the last 6 years SCE have supplied almost 1.5million tonnes of recycled materials into roadmaking – this is equivalent to almost 250,000 kms of roads!
- Continued use of recovered or recycled water for surface and stockpile watering
- Thoughtful use of recycled water in truck and wheel wash facilities
- Progress the use of cleaner technologies including hydrogen gas cutters
- Capture and re-use of stormwater runoff for dust suppression and environmental controls
- Reuse water from sediment basins
- The purchase of hybrid light vehicles wherever possible
- Installation of solar panels at our SCE Masters Rd workshop facility enabling green power to replace traditional power supply
- Installation of solar and alternate energy supply to return to grid (subject to cost justification)
- Fuel efficient vehicle purchase and consider alternate energy vehicles (hydrogen/electric) to reduce fuel consumption.
- Commencement of reafforestation program (over 1300 acres) at Hebden Quarry in the Hunter Valley
We are determined to minimise the impacts of our activities on the environment and communities in which we operate.